Household chores are tedious and time-consuming. With lots of work on your plate, you barely have the time and energy to put into it. And then, there’s your fridge. It’s stuffed and brimming with food, it’s stuck, and the door won’t close itself shut. Even worse is that your long-forgotten dairy spread has become stale and is already emitting a pungent smell inside the refrigerator. Now, you have no excuse; you need to clean the fridge.
Cleaning the fridge is an entire chore in itself. It requires the kind of attention you would normally give when cleaning a house or a room: you need to wipe, clean, and rearrange. You basically have to turn it upside down to make sure no stones are left unturned. As intimidating as it sounds, there are ways to make your efforts last. You just need a little creativity and a little out-of-the-box thinking to make it happen.
Planning to do a general refrigerator cleaning soon? Try some of these awesome hacks and prepare to be amazed!
In cleaning your refrigerator, you have to be thorough. You must make sure that no grime or dirt is left behind in your unit’s interior and exterior. This leftover grime and dirt often become a breeding ground of bacteria that can ruin and degrade the quality and lifespan of your food. Here’s what you can do:
- Create your own surface-friendly solution. Your cleaning solution will be a huge part of your success, so make sure that you use a solution that’s effective and won’t be harsh to your fridge’s interior at the same time. One of the most common tricks in appliance cleaning is combining a gallon of hot water with 1 cup of clear ammonia, ½-cup vinegar, and ¼-cup baking soda. You can pour the solution into a spray bottle, or use it from a bowl with a sponge. This no-rinse formula effectively removes greases, prevents mold and mildew.
- Remove stubborn spills and stains with hot water. A cleaning solution may degrease your fridge when it’s oily, but some stains and residues can be tricky. For that matter, dipping a cloth with hot water can soften such sticky residues from your fridge.
- Or use toothpaste to remove tougher stains. If you need a little something that can soften stains and leave a pleasant smell, try using toothpaste. Toothpaste is a gentle abrasive that can remove stains effectively and leave a clean menthol or fruity scent.
- Don’t forget the removable parts. In case you forget, your fridge comes with removal trays for easy storage. Remove them, soak them, and wipe them clean as well. Dirt and grime tend to accumulate in tight corner spots, so make sure you don’t take shortcuts.
Line your shelves with easy-to-clean mats. When you’re cleaning your storage trays and shelves, take it as an opportunity to improve your cleaning methods. Before you return them, try lining them up with waterproof mats. In this way, drips from foods won’t drip to other levels or sections. Should it get messy, it will be easier to take out the linings and wipe them clean until your next cleaning schedule.
- Label the doors. If you’re not the only one using your fridge, it’s hard to control what goes into each storage and section. So, before you conclude your general fridge cleaning, make sure you label the doors to guide users on how to store their foods and snacks properly.
- Label everything. To take this a step further, you may label all food containers to make it easier to find particular food and snack items. Labeling items in the fridge will avoid one from foraging that can leave it in total disarray. Make sure that you use baskets and containers to sort all your fridge’s contents. Fruits and vegetables go together, as well as milk and dairy. You can also allocate a section for perishables or food that’s near-expiry and mark them as a priority.
- Use plastic bins in your drawer freezer. If you put a lot of items in your drawer freezer, you tend to push some items deep in the back. When this happens, it often leaves some items out of your attention until they’re no longer of use. However, you can prevent such from happening if you put plastic bin organizers on the drawer. In that way, you can pull out the bins quickly and easily audit your stocks.
- Use six-pack containers to organize the door shelves. Another thing that you can do to keep your fridge tidy is to use six-pack containers that usually come with your beer cans or bottles. These containers can hold your bottles in place and can maximize the space of your shelves.
Keeping it Fresh
- Another thing that you can do to keep your fridge tidy is to use six-pack containers that usually come with your beer cans or bottles. These containers can hold your bottles in place and can maximize the space on your shelves.
- Keep a container of activated carbon to absorb the odors. Activated charcoal is a pure carbon that absorbs all organic molecules. It has the property to absorb all smelly particles that it encounters in its surroundings. You can buy small packets of activated charcoal in specialty stores, or you can use an old sock (make sure it’s clean and dry!), fill it with activated charcoal, seal it shut, and leave it inside the fridge. It can last for a month or two, so make sure to replace them regularly.
- Eliminate lingering odors with brown paper bag. After some time, your vegetable bin organizers will develop a lingering odor from the vegetables themselves. If you do not have the time to wash the bins, you can try putting pieces of crumpled brown paper bag inside for 48hrs. The paper should be able to absorb the odor.
- Use vanilla extract to eliminate odors faster. If odorless isn’t enough, try scenting your fridge with vanilla extract. Just pour some in a cotton ball and swab the corners of your refrigerator. You can also use orange and lemon extracts as alternatives.
Even after you have cleaned your refrigerator unit, what you do with your resources still count. If you don’t pay attention to your storage practices and habits, you’re bound to make the same mistakes and find yourself in the same dilemma. Reassess your storage habits and find inspiration from these storage tips:
- Mason jars are the best way to keep salads. If you want your salad to last longer, you better start keeping them in mason jars. Jars can keep vegetables preserved for longer because it helps the contents stay untouched even after so many users have accessed the fridge. Vegetables are vulnerable to organisms, so you have to put them in places where contamination can be controlled.
- Store the milk in the middle compartment. If you’re usually storing milk near doors, then you are doing it wrong. The fluctuating temperature around doors isn’t exactly suitable for milk products. You should store them somewhere in the middle for best results.
- Meat and fish belong at the bottom. If you don’t know this yet, then we’re telling you: Meat and fish should be stored at the bottom to prevent unwanted drips. However, this would only work if your freezer is at the bottom; if not, you can use wraps as an alternative for the meantime. Wrap your meat with cling wrap before storing them so that it won’t drip too much all over your fridge.Meanwhile, if you’d want to consider bottom freezer refrigerator units, you may check:
- Don’t slice your food until you are ready to consume it. Chopped meat, fruits, and vegetables are more prone to spoilage and contamination, so don’t cut them up until you’re all ready to use them and eat them. The same also applies to milk and cheese products.
- Keep a roll of masking tape and a sharpie near the fridge. You’ll never know when you’ll feel the urge to do your grocery or buy some food. Make sure you have tape and a sharpie readily available if you need to store perishable stuff. In this way, you can write expiration dates, so the people you live with will know which ones they’d need to consume first.
Congratulations! Your fridge should be clean and tidy. Cleanliness, in general, is one way to improve your mood and energy. It’s also a huge factor in your health, so it’s only right that you strive for it in every facet of your life. It doesn’t matter whether you start with your room or your fridge as long as you start.
Don’t forget to bookmark or take note of all these hacks, so you’d be able to apply them the next time you clean your fridge. It’ll be good if you will set a schedule at least bi-monthly for cleaning your refrigerator separately. Or, if you want to do away with extra work on your fridge, consider replacing it with a unit that has more room and storage for all your goods.
Condura should be on the top of your list when it comes to refrigerators. Condura offers a wide array of sophisticated refrigerator units that can suit different lifestyle needs. You can choose from different sizes and functionality. One thing that you will notice is that their refrigerators are adequately spaced, which is a plus. Spacious refrigerators are easier to clean and organize, it also doesn’t stuff easy so you won’t need to clean it as often.
If you want to know more about Condura refrigerators, visit: https://www.condura.com/index.php/condura-negosyo-pro-refrigerators/